Updated October 2018
- Tuition is due the first lesson of the month.
- Make-up lessons Please make every attempt to attend all your lessons. Lessons may be cancelled or rescheduled up to 1 day in advance. Lessons cancelled or missed the day of for any reason, including emergencies, will not be made-up and will still be paid for.
Each student is expected to attend group lessons . If you are unable to attend group lesson for an extenuating circumstance you must let me know because I plan the lessons around the needs of the students. Please arrive 5 minutes early.I am currently not offering group lessons. Contact me for info about this.
- Please keep your lesson time accurate. Lessons will start and stop on time.
- All students are required to study for the entire year, including summer.
- If you decide to quit lessons, you agree to continue lessons in which tuition has been paid. There will be no refunds on tuition.
- Always be prepared for your lesson. Please arrive at your lesson a few minutes early and bring all your materials and instrument to your lesson. Enter the studio quietly if the lesson before is still underway and get your violin out and quietly sit on the bench or couch. Practice the assignments throughout the week and LISTEN every day.
- Parents, take notes at the lesson. The Suzuki method is successful when the parent is involved. Taking notes during the lesson keeps you engaged during the lesson. Do not send your child in by herself without asking me first. You should come to each lesson until your child is in junior high.
- Practice daily. Students who practice and listen every day progress considerably faster than those who don’t. I require a minimum 5 days of practice per week, 7 days is marvelous!
- Listen to your Suzuki CDs daily. Make it a part of your daily routine. Those students who listen on a daily basis progress much faster and learn easier. It makes a HUGE difference! For beginners, I suggest purchasing the CDs through book 4 and listen to all the CDs often. Don’t wait until you are in a book to purchase the CD. Listen ahead of what you are learning. There can never be enough listening!
- Please make sure that all cell phones are turned of or switched to the silent mode for lessons. It is a distraction when these go off!
- No gum chewing is allowed during lessons.
- Please make sure that your child’s fingernails are always trimmed.
- Hair should be pulled back.
- If siblings must attend a student’s lesson, they must play quietly. Please do not let them roam the house. Please don’t bring food, and clean up all messes made by your children. You need to be attentive and take notes during the lesson time, so if your other children are a distraction, they must not come to the lesson.
- Concert Attendance: Please arrive at least fifteen minutes before the performance time unless otherwise noted. Please have your instrument, shoulder rest, extra strings (in case one breaks), music and music stand. All performers are expected to attend the entire performance. Leaving early is unacceptable unless permission is given by the teacher, and then only under extreme cases.
- All student families will be members of the Suzuki Association of Utah (SAU). Your tuition covers the $25 annual fee.
- Intermountain Suzuki String Institute. I feel that this summer camp makes an impact on a child’s life in many ways besides the violin. Please plan ahead and save for it and be excited about it. If you cannot afford the full tuition consider signing up for an Enrichment class or attending at least one concert. Scholarships are available.
- Students will have a choice whether to participate in Federation. Federation dues will be added to January’s tuition. (Usually around $25)
- Review: students are expected to review all their pieces throughout the week. This creates a good foundation to build upon, strengthens previously learned skills, builds confidence, enlarges repertoire, and promotes and increases musicality.
- Note Reading: This is a very important skill to learn on the violin. I will teach note reading after I feel the student has a sufficient level of technique on the violin. When I start note reading, it must be practice EVERY DAY!
- Each student needs their own Suzuki books. If you have more than one child studying with me please purchase Suzuki books for each student. I strongly recommend spiral binding your Suzuki books (1-4 and 5-8)! Other technique, scale, and music books can be shared.